There’s no pasta here, but this gluten-free and low-carb cauliflower “mac & cheese” is as comforting and creamy as your family’s favorite cheesy dish.
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets (from 1-2 heads)
- 1¾ cups reduced-fat milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- Chopped fresh chives or parsley for garnish
- Cook cauliflower in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1½ cups milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until steaming. Whisk the remaining ¼ cup milk and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth; add to the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce simmers and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Cheddar and cream cheese until melted. Stir in salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower and stir to combine. Garnish with chives (or parsley), if desired.
- To make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
- Serving size: ¾ cup Serves: 8
- Per serving: 247 calories; 17 g fat(10 g sat); 2 g fiber; 12 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 75 mcg folate; 53 mg cholesterol; 6 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 691 IU vitamin A; 52 mg vitamin C; 322 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 482 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (87% daily value), Calcium (32% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1