Chin Up Description:
The chin up in an advanced exercise that not only is a great strength/power builder for your back, arms and core, it is incredible for improving muscle tone in those areas as well. However, in order to do this exercise properly and safely you MUST have an appropriate level of thoracic spine and shoulder mobility (get with us on this if you are not sure!).
Chin Up Instructions:
- Grab the pull-up bar with the palms facing your torso and a grip closer than the shoulder width.
- As you have both arms extended in front of you holding the bar at the chosen grip width, keep your torso as straight as possible while creating a curvature on your lower back and sticking your chest out. This is your starting position.
- As you breathe out, pull your torso up until your head is around the level of the pull-up bar. Keep the elbows close to your body.
- After a second of squeezing the biceps in the contracted position, slowly lower your torso back to the starting position; when your arms are fully extended. Breathe in as you perform this portion of the movement.
- Repeat this motion for the prescribed amount of repetitions.