- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 organic eggs, at room temperature (very important to be at room temp)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (whole milk or 2% is best)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2T chocolate chips, for sprinkling on top
*Can substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup all purpose flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch pan with parchment paper and grease the inside of the pan to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl mix together the mashed banana, eggs, maple syrup, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract to a bowl until well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Next, mix in the melted and cooled butter and fold in an of the following: ½ cup chopped walnuts or ½ cup chocolate chips (or both!).
- Add banana bread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Allow bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once bread is cool, cut into 12 slices. Serve with nut butter spread on top for a healthy snack or breakfast on the go!
NUTRITION FACTS (Servings: 12 slices)
Serving size: 1 slice, Calories 178kcal, Fat 6g, Sat fat 4g, Carbs 28g, Fiber 3g, Sugar 10g, Protein 4g