Looking for a different/gluten free/just plain delicious vegetarian meal? This Mexican quinoa is super simple, healthy, flavorful and filling!
It takes only 15 minutes to prep (even quicker if you buy pre-cubed butternut squash!), then the slow cooker does the rest! It’s perfect for a busy week night!
- 1 and 1/2 pounds butternut squash (~4 cups); peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small jalapeno (optional)
- 2 cans (19 ounces each) mild red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup vegetable (or chicken if not vegetarian) broth
- 1 package (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, fresh lime juice, sour cream, chopped cilantro
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Place cubed butternut squash and place in the slow cooker.
- Add in the corn, drained and rinsed black beans, rinsed quinoa (I rinse mine in a fine mesh sieve), minced garlic, undrained fire-roasted petite diced tomatoes, diced jalapeno (if desired), the 2 cans of enchilada sauce (make sure you have the right ounce amount – these are the large cans), the vegetable or chicken broth, and the packet of taco seasoning.
- Give everything a really good stir, cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the quinoa is cooked and the butternut squash is tender.
- Remove the lid and stir everything together really well. Allow the liquid to absorb while on low for another 30 minutes or until mostly absorbed.
- Season with any additional spices and/or salt and pepper if desired.
- Top bowls with optional toppings – some shredded cheese, fresh lime juice, sour cream, and cilantro is what we love!
Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: 200 calories, 3g Fat, 6g Protein, 37g Carbs, 6g Sugar, 764g sodium*