At the top of the list for a safe, effective, horizontal pulling movement requiring minimal equipment is the 2-Point Row. The 2-Point Row strengthens your “lats”, upper back muscles, biceps, and equally as important your core! Lat strength is important for a variety of reasons, they are a primary stabilizer for your shoulders, are a powerful rotator of the trunk, and in way, connect the upper body to the lower body to help transfer power. Oh, and let’s not forget the aesthetic value of well developed lats!
- From a standing position, step back with your right leg to create s split squat stance, brace your upper body by placing your left hand on your left knee.
- Bend forward at the waist while maintaining a straight spine from your head through your left heel.
- Hold either a dumbbell or kettlebell with your right hand and then fully extend your arm while keeping your shoulder retracted.
- While squeezing the shoulder blade towards your spine, row to the lower part of your abdomen as if to touch either the dumbbell or kettlebell to your hip and then return to the starting position.
- Be sure to prevent any rotation of your torso and hips.