Here’s an easy chicken salad recipe that replaces mayo with avocado to kick up the nutrition!
Enjoy this wonderful salad with all kinds of goodness on top of greens or your favorite sprouted bread!
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken (baked, grilled, roasted)
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 T finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Sprouted sandwich bread or salad greens
- Place the chicken, avocado, apple, celery, and red onion in a medium bowl. Gently mash the avocado with a fork and stir it around so that everything gets well mixed
- Add the cilantro or parsley, lime juice or lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add more lime juice or salt to taste. If the mixture seems a little dry, you can stir in a teaspoon or two of olive oil.
- To store, place in a bowl and cover completely with plastic wrap so that no part of the chicken salad is exposed to air. Will keep a couple of days in the fridge.
- Serve on sandwich bread, toasted bread, or salad greens (arugula or watercress are our faves!)
Nutritional Info (makes 2 servings):
Per Serving: Calories 337 Fat 20g Cholesterol 53 mg Carbohydrate 24g Sugar 11 g Fiber 10 g Sodium 543 mg Protein 20 g