Bursting with nutrients, kale makes a tasty addition to soups, casseroles or even simply sautéed as a side dish. This recipe brings kale together with ingredients you probably already have on hand — bacon, canned chickpeas, onion, carrot, Greek yogurt — for a dish full of smoky, earthy flavor.
Delicious on it’s own with torn baguette bread to soak up all the tasty juices, or serve as a side to any protein in smaller portions.
- 2 center-cut bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 (15-ounce) cans organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 lemon wedges (optional)
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan and crumble when cool.
- Add 1 cup carrot and chopped onion to drippings in pan, and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, cumin, and red pepper; cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in chicken broth, 1 cup water and beans; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 4 cups kale to bean mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until kale is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowl, and top each serving with 2 tablespoons yogurt. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Makes 4 Servings (Amount per serving)
Calories 216, Fat 4g, Protein 15g, Carbohydrate 34g, Fiber 6g, Cholesterol 4mg, Iron 4mg, Sodium 595mg, Calcium 197mg