- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless organic chicken breasts
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cans reduced-sodium white beans – (15-ounce cans) such as white kidney beans, cannellini, or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans diced green chiles – (4.5-ounce cans)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Fresh lime wedges
- For serving – the toppings add important flavor, so LOAD IT UP!
- diced jalapeno, diced avocado, nonfat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips
Place chicken in bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Top with the chicken broth, white beans, green chiles, garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts to a plate. Once cool enough to handle, shred and set aside.
With an immersion blender puree a portion of the chili to thicken it, leaving some of the beans whole. (You can also transfer a few ladlefuls of the chili to a food processor and roughly blend, then stir the blended portion back into the chili). Stir in the shredded chicken and cilantro. Portion into bowls and top with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Add any other desired toppings and enjoy. Makes 6 servings.
Per serving (without toppings) : Calories 315, carbs 36g, protein 34g, fat 4g, sat fat 1g, chol 60mg, fiber 8g, sugar 2g