Bringing take-out to your own kitchen! This recipe takes your favorite ingredients inside an egg roll and puts them in a bowl. Yes, please!
We put various swaps within the recipe so you can adapt based on what you have!
- 3T coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 16 oz lean ground turkey (or beef, chicken) to make vegetarian, swap crumbled extra-firm tofu (press it dry first)
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms (any mushrooms will do)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch green onions, divided and chopped
- 1T oil (canola, coconut, grapeseed, macadamia, avocado oil)
- 1 (12-oz) bag broccoli coleslaw
- 1 cup grated carrots — freshly grated from peeled carrots or store-bought
- 1T fresh ginger, minced
- 1T rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chili paste or hot sauce of choice — plus additional to taste
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Prepared brown rice
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 1T aminos or soy sauce and cornstarch with a fork. Add your protein of choice, breaking apart the meat and stirring to coat with the sauce. Let marinate 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the mushrooms finely and mince the garlic. Thinly slice the green onions. If any of your other ingredients are not yet prepped, do it now.
- Heat a wok or large, deep sauté pan over high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the marinated turkey and cook, breaking apart the meat into small bits with a heatproof spatula, until it’s fully cooked through. Add the green onions (reserve a small handful for serving) and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms soften, about 2 additional minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the broccoli coleslaw, carrots, ginger, and garlic. Stir-fry for a few minutes, until the vegetables are softened
- Add the rice vinegar, chili paste, sesame oil, black pepper, and remaining 2T aminos or soy sauce, then stir to combine. Continue to cook for 1 additional minute. Taste and add additional soy sauce, hot sauce, or black pepper as desired.
- Scoop into serving bowls (over brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice, if desired).
- Serve hot, sprinkled with additional green onions.
- Makes 4 servings.
Amount per serving (about 1 1/2 cups) — Calories: 281, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 80mg, Carbohydrates: 13g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 27g