Saltimbocca’s means to “jump in the mouth” with flavor, and this healthy version doesn’t disappoint! We make the restaurant version a lot healthier (and easier) by replacing veal with chicken, cutting down on the cheese (but it’s still in there!) and adding lots of spinach to amp up the greens! Chicken, prosciutto, spinach, Parmesean and sage. Is your mouth watering yet?
This recipe is simple – it’s really just a matter of rolling all of the ingredients and then pan searing. It shouldn’t take you more than 25 minutes total, and at the end you’ve got a fresh, healthy and delectable dish you’ll be proud to serve anyone!
- 3 tsp. chopped fresh sage (fresh is by far the best… but if you can’t get it, 1.5 tsp. dried sage)
- 6 sage leaves (fresh is best!)
- Pound each cutlet to flatter (or buy thin sliced chicken!)
- Place a layer of plastic wrap over the breasts, or to place in Ziploc bag, with all air removed. Then pound with the flat side of a meat mallet or rolling pin to an even 1/4-inch thickness
- Place chicken flat on work surface. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay 1 slice of prosciutto on top of each cutlet.
- Remove excess water from frozen spinach by squeezing.
- In a small bowl, toss the spinach with 1 tablespoon of oil to coat, and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange an even, thin layer of spinach on top of the prosciutto slices. Sprinkle Parmesan evenly over each, then evenly divide sage between the chicken cutlets.
- Roll up each chicken cutlet (start with shorter, tapered end of cutlet). Secure with a toothpick.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and cook just until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Add chicken broth and lemon juice to pan, and scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan (best to use a wooden spoon). Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to clean, warm plate.
- Simmer the cooking liquid over high heat until it is reduced to about 2/3 cup (should take about 5 minutes). Season the cooking liquid with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove toothpicks from the chicken and drizzle the reduced cooking liquid over the chicken and serve immediately!
Calories 310, Total Fat 14.2g, Sat Fat4.4g, Protein 34.8g, Carb 4.7g, .5g Sugar, 447mg sodium