Post-workout meals are those meals that contain a moderate to high amount of carbohydrates (greater than 25% of total calories). We recommend eating these meals within 2-3 hours of your last exercise session.
This recipe combines fresh bananas and coconut milk – a beverage made from the meat of mature coconut. Packed with anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agents, coconut milk is not only delicious; it’s also very good for you. If you like the taste of piña coladas, you’ll love this oatmeal recipe!
This recipe is from the “Gourmet Nutrition” Cookbook – available at the front desk!
- 1 cup low-fat milk or almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup 0ld fashioned large flake oats
- ¼ cup water
- 1 scoop vanilla protein (equal to 25 g protein) – we recommend dotFIT Whey Smooth, or dotFIT Lean MR for lactose free
- ½ banana (sliced)
Makes 2 large or 4 small portions
- In a small pot, bring milk and coconut milk to a boil over medium heat. Add the oats. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until milk is absorbed (approximately 7-10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Combine ¼ cup of water with protein in a separate bowl. Mix with a fork until protein is dissolved. For a smoother consistency, mix powder with water in blender or food processor and blend until protein is dissolved.
- Pour protein mixture and bananas over oatmeal and serve. Serves 2 large or 4 small.
- If you like your oatmeal softer, add 2-4 tablespoons of extra water to the pot before adding oats.
- If you are lactose intolerant or wish to avoid dairy, replace the 1 cup of milk with 1 cup of almond milk, or water and ½ scoop of protein powder (like Dotfit Lean MR).
- For a creamier mixture, instead of mixing the protein with ¼ cup of water, try combining the protein with ¼ cup of apple sauce or yogurt! If you’d like your oatmeal to be infused with banana flavor, add ½ cup of mashed banana once the oatmeal has simmered for 5 minutes. Then continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes or so.
Calories: 521/262, Fat: 17/8, Carbs: 54/27, Fiber: 6/3, Sugars: 14/7, Protein: 39/20