Ascender/Descender Workout! Exercise 3
(Each month we post a workout – one exercise per week for four weeks, culminating in the entire workout together)
Looking to tone and strengthen your back and upper arms? It’s nearly bathing suit and tank top season, after all! The Bent-Over Barbell Row builds muscle AND improves strength in the upper back, arms and core.
Note: Be SURE to keep your back straight – don’t let it dip or round! You can lift heavier weights by using your hips, but your upper back should do most of the work. If your torso rises too far above horizontal, the weight is too heavy. Lower it to work your upper-back mostly, not your hips!
- Barbell should be placed just in front of your shins
- Using an underhand grip, select a hand width slightly wider than that of your ribcage
- Back should be flat (think deadlift form)
- Brace by engaging your core and lats
- Row to the lower part of your abdomen
- Butt back, flat back
- Glutes tight
- Core tight
- Row to lower abdomen
If you have any questions or comments, hit us up on Facebook