Love enchiladas, but not the calories? This Beef Enchilada Quinoa recipe is a healthier, gluten-free alternative! You’ll get all of those yummy Mexican flavors and spice but its GOOD FOR YOU, and easy to make! Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B-vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants.
You can swap out beef for ground turkey for ground beef to cut the calories a bit more!
- 1.5 cups dry quinoa
- 1 lb browned ground beef (we used 95% Lean Meat / 5% Fat)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 10-oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno (2 if you like it hot!)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder
- .5 Tablespoon Taco seasoning
- Put everything in the slow cooker and cook on high for 1.5-2 hours (or low, 3-4 hours). Make sure to check it occasionally – it’s done once all the water is absorbed.
- Serve in a bowl topped with non-fat plain Greek yogurt – a great sour cream substitute – and green onion (these toppings are NOT included in nutritional information below!)
Makes 8 servings
Per serving: 245 calories; 5.9g fat; 196mg sodium; 30.8g carbohydrates; 5.2g fiber; 2.2g sugar; 18g protein