With the new year comes a desire to shed the holiday lbs, and start a healthy 2017! Here are a few salad ideas that are quick and easy – they can each be made in less than 5 minutes. These salads are packed with protein, fruit and veggies, and are low in calories! Add as many additional veggies as you want!
Each recipe is made for one person so you may have to adjust as necessary. Enjoy!
Balsamic Chicken Salad
- 1-2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- Small handful toasted pecans
- 1/2 – 1 oz shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 diced green apple
- 1-2 Tablespoon of pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 2-4 cups of leafy greens
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette (or balsamic vinegar)
- 3-6 oz chicken
Marinate chicken in balsamic for an hour or so in fridge before grilling. Combine first 6 ingredients. Add grilled chicken and more balsamic vinaigrette on the side.
- 1 cup of Superfood Kale Salad mix (you can buy this right in the produce section – will say something like “includes 7 Superfoods”)
- 1-2 cups spinach
- sprinkle of feta
- small handful of candied nuts (you can also use slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds and cranberries)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- squeeze of fresh lemon
Combine first 3 ingredients and sprinkle candied nuts on top. Use balsamic and lemon as your dressing. Add any lean protein of your choice (think: grilled chicken breast, lean steak, fish/shrimp).
- 2-3 cups spinach and romaine, mixed
- 1/2 red and 1/2 orange peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- About 1 cup ground lean turkey, bison or beef — cooked
- 2-3 tablespoons salsa
- 1 – 2 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt (taste just like sour cream)
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1/2 – 1 oz shredded cheese
Combine first 4 ingredients together. Top with salsa, yogurt, avocado and cheese.
Blue Steak Salad
- 2-4 cups baby spinach
- 3-6 oz flank steak
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cut in half
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 oz blue cheese (or feta if you don’t have it!)
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
Combine all – Enjoy!