- 1¼ pounds lean organic ground turkey (or lean grass-fed beef)
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red sweet pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1T extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices uncured pepperoni
- 4 thin slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 sprouted whole grain buns or whole grain buns, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 3½ cups pizza sauce, warmed
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey, onion, sweet pepper, oregano, fennel seeds, garlic powder, salt and crushed red pepper. Shape into four 3/4-inch thick patties. Brush tops and bottoms with olive oil.
- For a charcoal grill, grill patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 14-18 minutes or until no longer pink and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Top each patty with a pepperoni slice and then a cheese slice for the last 1-2 minutes of grilling.
- To assemble, place grilled patties on bun bottoms. Top with basil, pizza sauce and bun tops.
NUTRITION INFO (Makes 4 servings):
Calories 228, Fat 11g, Sat Fat 4g, Chol 60 mg, Carbs 13g, Fiber 3g, Sugar 5g, Sodium 527mg, Protein 18g