FOR THE SALAD
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 pound Tuscan or curly kale (about 1 large bunch), thick center rib removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 cup coarsely grated or chopped Parmigiano Reggiano
FOR THE DRESSING
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, from about 2 lemons
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, from one large shallot
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and bake walnuts for 5-8 minutes, until toasted and fragrant.
- Combine brussels sprouts and kale in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over the vegetables. Add most walnuts and cheese, reserving some to garnish the platter, and toss well. Let the salad sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or up to a few hours in the fridge) to allow the flavors to meld and the vegetables to soften. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a serving dish and scatter the remaining walnuts and cheese over the top. Serve at room temperature. Makes 8 servings.
Calories 256, Fat 20g, Sat Fat 4g, Carbs 13g, Sugar 3g, Fiber 5g, Protein 10g, Sodium 432mg, Cholesterol 10mg