Here’s a yummy soup that’s filled with nutrition and lots of flavor! It’s got lots of Mexican spices that will keep you warm from the inside out!
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeños , chopped (seeds removed)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt , or to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lb organic chicken breast or thighs , chopped into 1″ cubes
- Vegetarian option: Replace chicken with 1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa or wild rice, or 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat, and saute the onions, celery and carrots for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- Add the garlic and chopped chicken (if using), and saute for another 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add water, diced tomatoes with juice, jalapenos, cumin, sea salt, black pepper and chopped cilantro and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the temperature and allow to simmer for 25 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to gently puree the soup to your desired texture. You can make it as chunky or blended as you like 🙂
- If using a vegetarian option, such as quinoa or black beans, add them in after using the immersion blender, for texture. You’ll just need an extra minute or so of cooking time after adding them in, to make sure everything is heated through.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, and serve warm!
- Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Info (per serving):
Calories 119, Fat 2g, Carbs 6g, Fiber 1g, Protein 16g