- 1 pound lean ground organic turkey
- 1T Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1½ cups pizza sauce
- 4 bell peppers, sliced in half from top to bottom, and deseeded
- ½ cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in rings like mini pepperonis
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- Preferred seasonings (garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, etc.) and chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium flame.
- Cook turkey with the Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper in the skillet for about 4 minutes, or until turkey is no longer pink. Drain off fat, then add the pizza sauce and cook for an additional minute.
- Place the bell peppers on the prepared baking sheet and fill each bell pepper with an equal amount of the meat-sauce mixture.
- Place the stuffed peppers in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove peppers from oven and top each with 1 tablespoon sauce. Next, sprinkle mozzarella then Parmesan, tomatoes, and onions evenly over the tops of each pepper.
- Place pepper pizzas in oven for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melty and bubbly. Garnish with seasonings and fresh basil.
- Allow to set 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy two pizza peppers.
NUTRITION INFO (per two peppers):
Calories 280, Protein 31g, Fat 6g, Sat Fat: 4g, Cholesterol 75mg, Carbs 15g, Fiber 3g, Sugar 9g, Sodium 330mg