Looking for a flavorful, healthy and simple recipe? Here it is! All you do is throw some ingredients in a Crock-Pot and voila! This recipe is a nice alternative plain chicken tacos – the cilantro really adds a burst of flavor, and the homemade taco seasoning cuts down on the sodium and preservatives found in the packaged product.
This recipe will be a hit with the whole family, and is great party food!
- 16 oz. salsa (hot, medium or mild – it’s up to you)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- If you love the flavor of lime, add in 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 fresh jalapenos, chopped (if you like less spice only use one or sub a can of green chiles)
- 1.25 oz (7.5 tsp) taco seasoning mix (*see recipe below). In a pinch, use one package low-sodium dry taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (and a little extra for garnish)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 6 tsp Chili Powder
- 5 tsp Paprika
- 4 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
*makes about 1/2 cup (21 tsp)
In storage container with tight-fitting lid, combine all ingredients; mix well. Seal tightly. Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Makes about 1/2 cup (21 tsp)
- Place salsa, lime juice, taco seasoning, cilantro and salt in slow cooker. Mix well.
- Add in chicken breasts, onion and jalapeno, stir to coat with the salsa mixture.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until chicken is tender (or 6-8 hours on low).
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the slow cooker & shred with two forks
- Serve in a whole wheat, high-fiber tortilla as a burrito, enchilada or quesadilla. Or, go low-carbor gluten free: omit the torillas and serve in a lettuce wrap or just on a plate with a little cheese & light sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt. Yum!
Per serving: Calories 257, Fat 3g, Carbs 10g, Protein 48g