- 1 pound (454 g) cooking apples
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup (240 ml) fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup (60 ml) rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) canola oil (extra may be needed)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pitted dates, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted sunflower seeds
- Non fat cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400oF (204oC). Prepare an ovenproof dish by coating with non fat cooking spray.
- Core and slice the unpeeled apples and sprinkle with lemon juice. This helps prevent browning. Place in a medium saucepan with the blackberries. Cook over medium low heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour cooked fruit into baking dish.
- In separate bowl, mix the flour and oats. Rub in the oil and stir until mixture resembles crumbs. You may need to add more canola oil until desired texture is reached. Stir in dates and sunflower seeds. Sprinkle crumbly mixture over fruit.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Makes 4 servings.