I don’t know about you, but I LOVE Chipotle; it is my weakness, and it’s a problem. I just LOVE their chicken – the seasoning, how juicy it is… and I’ve been trying to mimic it for years. I’ve FINALLY found the recipe that tastes as good – or even better! The best part is, you can cook it a number of ways; I think the grill is the best, but you can also bake it (375 degrees for about 25 minutes) or even in a large skillet over medium heat (but remember you do need to add a little more oil to do this, so the other methods are preferred).
In the end, you get delicious chicken that you can eat a number of ways – in a burrito, on a salad or with rice and veggies. Enjoy!
- 1/4 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp adobo sauce (from a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp real salt
- 2 gloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Make the Marinade:
- Place onion, garlic, adobo sauce, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour marinade into a 1/2 cup measuring cup and add enough water to reach 1/2 cup.
- Using a fork, poke holes all over the chicken thighs and place in resealable plastic bag (I usually trim the excess fat off of the thighs first).
- Pour marinade over the chicken, seal, and use your hands to move the marinade around so that all of the chicken is evenly coated.
- Refrigerate at least one hour, or overnight.
Cook the Chicken:
- Warm up the grill!
- Grill chicken over medium high heat for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear (165-176 degrees F)
- Remove chicken and let sit at least 10 minutes
- Slice or chop chicken – serve in a burrito, on a salad or on it’s own!
Per serving (makes 8): 155 calories, 2g carbs, 7g fat, 22g protein, 513mg sodium, 1g sugar