This is a quick, easy and filling vegetarian soup. It’s creamy, but with some recipe modifications on the original Pinterest version, it’s healthy, too! The original recipe calls for cream cheese and regular broth; cut calories and sodium by using Neufchâtel cheese (which is 1/3 fat of regular cream cheese) and unsalted broth – then salt to taste. Also, use as much spinach as you want – the more green, the better! It has great flavor and is really filling.
It’s great to serve with salad and cracker sticks or toasted bread for dipping.
The directions below are the way I like to cook it. However, if you need a “throw and go” version, you can put everything in at once. The totellini will be softer, but it will be just as good! I’d still save some of the spinach to throw in at the end!
- 2 cans (15 oz) Italian-style diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (unsalted)
- 1 bag fresh spinach (about 3 cups)
- 1 block (8oz) Neufchâtel cheese (1/3 fat of cream cheese)
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen cheese tortellini
- Put all ingredients except the tortellini in the crockpot, chunking up the cream cheese. I saved about 1/2 of the spinach to put in close to the end so it was less wilted
- Cook on low
- After about 3 hours, stir and add tortellini
- Cook for 1 more hour
- About 5 minutes before you’re ready to serve, stir in remaining spinach and add salt & pepper to taste.
Makes 8 servings
Per serving: 150 calories; 7g fat; 14g carbohydrates; 5g protein; 6g sugars; 452mg sodium