How is everyone doing in 2018? Eating healthier? Working out more? It’s been an entire 10 days days and we are feeling GREAT here at Alloy! We’re killing it in the workouts and working to lighten up some of our favorite recipes so we can have all of the flavors we love without the guilt. A favorite around here is Chicken Piccata – and this low carb, high protein, gluten free, “light” recipe does not disappoint! Instead of flour, we dust the chicken with parmesan, which goes so well with the lemon and capers of a traditional Piccata sauce. Plus, we omit the butter to cut down on the calories, and add shallots for flavor. It’s so good, you won’t even miss the pasta!
- 2, 4 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp pepper, divided
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Place each chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them to ¼ inch thick.
- Use ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper on each chicken breast, then place Parmesan cheese in a bowl and coat the chicken breasts with the cheese.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan and once it is hot place the chicken breasts in the pan and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove chicken breasts and set the aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the saute pan and add shallots to the pan. Cook for 2 min, or until they begin to soften, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add white wine and chicken broth to the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon, making sure to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- When the liquid has reduced by half add the capers and lemon juice, cook for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over chicken breasts and serve over steamed spinach or fresh broccoli
Per serving: Calories 402, Carbs 8.4g, Protein 44.2g, Sugar 1.2g