Generally speaking, supplements are a complete waste of your hard-earned money. The FDA does not regulate the supplement industry, which leads to outrageous claims by supplement manufacturers. Thankfully, we have a registered and licensed dietitian, Natalie Logan, on staff to help us investigate supplement claims and inform us of the truth.
Recently, there has been a lot of buzz regarding the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids. According to Natalie, most of these claims hold water! Here is a list of 10 reasons why you should consider taking omega-3 supplements:
1) Reduce inflammation
2) Improve the body’s ability to respond to insulin
3) Help lower triglycerides
4) Increase HDL (good) cholesterol
5) Fight against depression
6) Enhance brain development
7) Boost weight loss
8) Decrease the development of dementia
9) Promote optimal growth and rejuvenation for skin, hair & nails
10) Enhance function of most vital organs and hormones
To reap the benefits, studies show that either consuming 12 or more ounces of fish (i.e. salmon, tuna, sardines) a week or 1000 – 4000mg of pharmaceutical grade fish oil a day.
Until Next Time,